Saturday, May 14, 2011

Traditional Dance

Before I left Bundibugyo, Uganda in March I asked friends for a traditional
dance called Muledu. They decked me out in vines and leaves and I
joined the festivities. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to celebrate our
friendship of over 16 years.
The following day a young man named  Muhumuza died from this church. He had
developed resistant TB and other illnesses attacked his weakened body.
At the burial as  family members gathered people openly fought with a fist fight.  
The father was accused of bewitching his son. The rumors were unfounded and only seemed to come from grief, anger and the desire to blame and explain the power of death that robs life from young and old and the  poor and the rich alike.
Muhumuza had been a professing believer and member in his church. We all
grieved the loss of his life. I grieved both the  death of my young friend and my
goodbye to  living in Bundibugyo for this season.